Monday, August 8, 2011

It Wasn't Healthy, But It Was Delicious!

This past Friday was A's birthday, and we went to the State Fair to celebrate. We decided that instead of eating bigger meals, we'd graze in order to be able to samply all the deep fried-goodness that the Fair had to offer.

A had your typical fare of foods: corn on the cob (without the butter), a grilled chicken sandwich, maple syrup cotton candy, maple root beer, a hot dog on a pretzel roll and deep fried oreos.

Wait. Back up a second. Deep fried oreos?!?!?!

I was contemplating getting them all afternoon, and decided to go for it. A had just finished his cotton candy, so I figured I'd be okay getting myself a treat as well. As soon as I purchased the bag of greasy goodness, A asks if he can have them. I'm not sure at all -- I assume the batter they use must have egg or possibly dairy in it, but I tell him I'll go and ask, but I'm not at all confident that these Fair workers are going to know ingredient listings.

Boy, was I proven wrong. Here was the conversation:

Me: I have a random question for you. What are the ingredients in the deep fried oreo batter?
Girl: It's soybean oil and flour.
Me, to A: You can have them!
Girl: What is he allergic to?
Me: dairy and eggs.
Girl: He can have them! There's no dairy or egg in the oreo batter. The funnel cake is another story, though.
Me: Thank you so much!

The employee was very nice and was very confident of the food ingredients. I was plesasantly surprised at her knowledge.

A enjoyed 2 deep fried oreos with no issues whatsoever. His reaction to the sweets?

"Mmmmmmmmmmmm."

No comments:

Post a Comment